Skip the Trip!  ​

Click​ here to renew​ your license online.   Click here to update your address online. 

​The DMV makes it easier for you to remember the expiration date of your driver’s license or identification card. Under the “Drive for Five” program, all driver’s licenses will expire in a year in which your age is divisible by five (for example, age 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, etc.).

Under this program, your license is valid for five (5) years. However, before you begin the five year cycle, the DMV may need to phase you into the program. In order to do this, your initial driver’s license will be issued for a period ranging from three (3) years to seven (7) years, depending on your age at the time of renewal. For instance, if you are or will be 34 in the year that your driver’s license expires, you will be issued a six-year driver’s license that will expire when you are 40.

New driver’s licenses issued after January 1, 2001, expire on the applicant’s birthday instead of at the end of the month. Driver’s licenses expiring on a licensee’s 18th or 21st birthday will have a 30-day grace period to allow the bearer to obtain the appropriate color license.

Please note that the driver’s license fees have increased, effective July 1, 2017. The fees may be more or less for this renewal period, depending on the number of years for which the driver’s license will be valid. Your renewal fee and year of expiration will appear on your renewal card as well.

All driver’s license renewal fees will be based on the number of years you will have a driver’s license until your age is divisible by five (25, 30, 35, 40, etc.), at a rate of $5.00 per year. For example, if you are 21 years old when you renew your driver’s​ license, it will next expire on your 25th birthday and the fee would be $20.00 ($5.00 x 4).

License Fees

Driver's Licenses Fee Table

CDL Renewals

The renewal fee for a CDL License is $43.75. Please add an additional $5.00 if you have a motorcycle endorsement.

Once you have received your CDL renewal notice form, you should visit the DMV office to start the renewal process. You must bring the required documents to renew your CDL. For ​information on Documents required to renew, click here.

If you currently are employed by a city, county, state, or federal government, and your job requires a valid CDL, you are exempt from the DOT physical requirements; however, you must provide a letter from your employer stating you are currently employed and exempt from the DOT physical requirements. If you renew your license after the expiration date you will pay an additional fee of $5.00 for an expired license. If your license has been expired for more than 6 months you must pass the written and road skills tests for both a regular Class E license and all examination requirements for a commercial driver's license.

To retain a Hazardous Material Endorsement, you must first complete a fingerprint, and background check from the TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION. You should contact the Universal Enrollment Services (UES) Help Desk at 1-855-347-8371, or visit their website at​ to pay the $86.50 fee to start the fingerprint/background check process. All fees are non-refundable. After contacting UES and scheduling an appointment you must visit one of the locations that provide fingerprinting, these locations are listed on their website. When visiting the UES office you must provide proof of identity and citizenship. Visit the UES website for a complete list of acceptable proof documents. Once you have received your approval email from TSA stating you have passed the background check then you can return to the DMV office to test for HAZMAT and renew your CDL. Please bring a printout of your approval email from the TSA when you renew. The Hazardous Material Endorsement is an additional $10.00. If you do not wish to maintain your HAZMAT endorsement you can go directly to a DMV office to renew your license and complete a surrender form, surrendering your HAZMAT endorsement.

A HAZMAT endorsement holder renewing their CDL will receive 3 attempts to test and pass the HAZMAT endorsement on a valid no expired license. If your CDL license is expired then you must obtain a HAZMAT test card from the CDL office in Charleston before you can test for HAZMAT.​