Contract Appraiser Procedures and Requirements
Notice is hereby given by the West Virginia Department of Transportation, Division of Highways that Right of Way Appraisal Services related to transportation projects will be used for statewide projects. Future projects will be advertised and awarded on a low-bid basis.
All individuals interested in providing appraisal contracts for statewide projects must be pre-qualified and approved by the WVDOT, DOH, Right of Way Division in order to submit bids on upcoming projects.
Individuals desiring to be included on the pre-qualified list for real estate APPRAISAL SERVICES must meet the following criteria:
- All appraisal reports must be submitted on the currently approved WVDOT appraisal form and completed in compliance with the State Rule, and any and all applicable laws, rules, regulations and requirements, including but not limited to the WVDOT “Information for Appraisers” and “Right of Way Manual”.
- All appraisal reports and related correspondence will be transmitted electronically via an FTP site or email.
- Have a minimum of three (3) years of full time or equivalent part time experience in real estate appraisal and a license or certification in good standing with the West Virginia Real Estate Appraiser Licensing and Certification Board allowing for the appraisal of real estate being acquired under the threat of Eminent Domain
- Be competent, as defined by the competency rule, Standards and Provisions of the “Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice” (USPAP), and the “Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition Policies Act of 1970” (Uniform Act) P.L. 91-646, 49 CFR Part 24
- Be proficient in reading, interpreting and explaining highway Right of Way plans and construction plans
- Be familiar with, and competent to provide, appraisal reports on properties subject to partial takings, including the ability to adequately address damages (diminution of value) to any residue properties
- Be proficient and competent in employing, when necessary, appraisal supplemental standards and jurisdictional exception as defined by USPAP. Additional proficiency and competency in completing appraisals with retrospective values and under hypothetical conditions and extraordinary assumptions is required.
- Be able to qualify as an expert witness in condemnation proceedings and shall provide such testimony at all types of condemnation proceedings upon request and/or subpoena
All bids will be one fixed amount, in total, for all appraisal activities as advertised. Once the appraisal or appraisal review service contract is awarded the contract issued to the successful bidder will require one (1) hourly rate for report revisions as requested by the Department, and one (1) hourly rate for all litigation-related appraisal activities. These hourly rates must be all-inclusive of expenses incurred by the appraiser. No compensation will be made for time incurred by the appraiser in correcting errors/omissions within appraisal reports. Excepting prior written consent of the Department, completion of the contracted services must be submitted by the contracted due date. No partial payments will be made and no invoices will be processed until all contracted and submitted acceptable appraisal reports have been reviewed and approved by the Department.
Successful bidder will be subject to a written assessment regarding performance which will be prepared by the project review appraiser. Consistent low ratings will influence the ability to participate in future bids.
Prior successful completion of training in appraisal for Federal-Aid Highway programs; appraisal of partial acquisitions; condemnation appraising (principles and applications); and providing expert witness testimony is strongly recommended.
Successful bidder shall coordinate project appraisal activities including scope of work with the WVDOH project review appraiser
Prior employment by a State Department of Transportation is not required in order to apply for inclusion on the West Virginia Department of Transportation’s Pre-Qualified Appraiser List or Pre-Qualified Review Appraiser List, or to submit proposals to perform appraisal or appraisal review services as may be requested by the WVDOT.