Driver's Licenses and ID Cards

There are TWO types Driver's Licenses & ID Cards

You have the choice between a Not For Federal Use driver’s license or ID card, or a REAL ID/For Federal Use card that contains a gold star, indicating that the card meets full federal requirements for future use at airports and other designated federal facilities and uses nationwide. Details of how Federal Government will implement this requirement have not been released.

Applicants applying for, renewing, or obtaining a duplicate driver’s license or ID card are required to provide specific documents. The documents you need to bring to the DMV depends on what type of card you choose. Due to processing and shipping costs, an additional $10.00 fee is required to obtain a FOR REAL ID/For Federal Use card.

Renew your driver's license online 

The license or identification card holder shall substantiate a change of name by marriage with a certified marriage certificate. The license or identification card holder may choose from the following options to display his or her name on the drivers license, However, a court order specifying a change of name supersedes a birth and certified marriage certificate.

  • Last name, first name then middle name as evidence by the applicants certified birth certificate
  • Last name of spouse, as evidence by the applicants certified marriage certificate then the first name and middle name as evidenced by the applicants birth certificate
  • Last name as evidence by the applicants marriage license, first name, then maiden name as evidence by the applicants birth certificate to stand in place of the middle name.
  • Any change in the birth date requires a certified birth certificate.
  • Any change or correction of the social security number requires a social security card (non-metal & not a printout from SSA.)
  • Any change of gender requires the submission of the Gender Designation Form, which must be fully and accurately completed, and signed by a licensed physician.
Click here to visit the Secure Licensing FAQ Section.

If you change your address you are required to notify, in writing, the DMV within 20 days of the change. Failure to do this subjects you to a possible fine or imprisonment. Simply notifying the US Post Office will NOT update your record with the DMV or allow important DMV mail to be forwarded to you. By failing to change your address with the DMV, you could miss the renewal date of your license, or even have your driving privileges suspended or revoked unnecessarily.

To change your address with DMV use the Change of Address form found on the forms and applications page here.