Can a County Commission or other local government create stricter ATV Rules?
Yes. WV Code §​17F-1-3 allows for a process for local governments to regulate or create additional restrictions all-terrain vehicles.  Always check with local law enforcement before taking to the road.

Is there a safety course for ATV’s?
Yes. WV DMV offers a free ATV rider safety awareness course.  ATV Safety instructions can also be obtained through the WVU Extension Offices.  All ATV operators 18 and under must obtain safety instruction at the local DMV or another approved location to receive an ATV safety card and helmet sticker.

If I am under the age of 18, can I ride an ATV without the safety course?
No person under the age of 18 may operate an all-terrain vehicle without a certificate of completion of a vehicle rider safety awareness course as offered or approved by the DMV Commissioner.

Can I ride on Hatfield McCoy Trails without a safety course?
The safety and awareness course does not apply to the operation of an all-terrain vehicle on any private or public recreational trail or area or affiliated trail or area operated by a person or entity which has in place a safety program.

What do I need to ride my ATV on the Hatfield-McCoy trails?

According to the Hatfield-McCoy website:
“Title and Registration, for West Virginia Residents and Non-West Virginia Residents, are not required when riding your machine along a Hatfield-McCoy Trail System or on a Hatfield-McCoy Trails approved road within the Trails project area.
  1. When riding a machine on any Hatfield-McCoy Trail System, an individual must obtain a Hatfield-McCoy Trails User Permit and wear a DOT or SNELL approved helmet.
  2. When riding a machine on any Hatfield-McCoy Trails approved roads, highways or ATV-friendly towns, an individual must obtain a Hatfield-McCoy Trails User Permit, wear a DOT or SNELL approved helmet and have liability insurance.
**Please note that the regulations above ONLY apply to the Hatfield-McCoy Trail System and Hatfi​eld-McCoy Trails project areas.
Please be aware that regulations vary outside of the Hatfield-McCoy Trails project areas."

How do I obtain a permit to use my ATV/SPV in West Virginia if I live out of state?

The West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles allows individuals to obtain an Out of State Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) Temporary Registration online which allows you to register your SPV for use on the roads of Wild, Wonderful West Virginia for a 14-day period, in accordance with West Virginia State Code 91-25-4. This temporary registration is specifically for SPVs, ATVs, and UTVs. This service is for non-WV residents only. Visit​rvices/Pages/Special-Purpose-Vehicles.aspx​ for details as to what qualifies as an SPV.

Once application is completed and payment has been made, an email containing temporary registration and temporary tag will be delivered.

Do I have to wear a helmet when I ride an ATV?
Yes, a DOT approved helmet is required for persons under the age of 18.

Can I ride an ATV on a roadway in WV?
Yes, provided you have gone through the Special Purpose Vehicle registration process. Please be aware that each county may have their own rules as to where and when you can operate an SPV on their roadways. Otherwise no, you may not operate an ATV on any road or highway with a center line or more than two lanes except for the purpose of crossing the road, street, or highway. The crossing must be made at a 90-degree angle to the direction of the highway and at a place where no obstruction prevents a quick and safe crossing.