Driver's Licenses and ID Cards

Renew your driver's license online 
Real ID Headstart 

​There are TWO types Driver's Licenses & ID Cards

You have the choice between a Not For Federal Use driver’s license or ID card, or a REAL ID/For Federal Use card that contains a gold star, indicating that the card meets full federal requirements for future use at airports and other designated federal facilities and uses nationwide. Details of how Federal Government will implement this requirement have not been released.

Applicants applying for, renewing, or obtaining a duplicate driver’s license or ID card are required to provide specific documents. The documents you need to bring to the DMV depends on what type of card you choose. Due to processing and shipping costs, an additional $10.00 fee is required to obtain a FOR REAL ID/For Federal Use card.

NOTE:  REAL ID/Central Issuance

In late 2020, DMV phased-in a new driver's license issuance program, in compliance with the Real ID Act of 2005.  Customers renewing or applying for a driver's license or identification card credential, in the regional offices, at the kiosks, or online, now receive a temporary card/receipt, valid for 60 days, and their permanent credential will be mailed to them as part of the central issuance requirement for REAL ID.  Customers applying for duplicate credentials will also receive a temporary card and their permanent credential in the mail. All license and ID issuance is now done through the central print location, with no credentials being printed in the offices.

Central issuance involves mailing permanent license and ID cards from a secure facility.  Additionally, the new program also includes a new design for licenses and IDs with several upgraded security features.  These security features will reduce the risk of fraud and identity theft.

Customers that want a new driver's license are encouraged to make an appointment through the DMV website at​.  If you currently have an appointment for a driver's license transaction, you do not need to make a new one.  The same documents are required as before-proof of identity, proof of social security number, and two proofs of physical residency.

The Licenses below were issued July 2011 through December 2011 are currently in circulation, for details click on one of the images below:
Issued to drivers ages 15 - 17  
Issued to drivers ages 18 - 20  
Issued to drivers 21 and older  

If you change your address you are required to notify, in writing, the DMV within 20 days of the change. Failure to do this subjects you to a possible fine or imprisonment. Simply notifying the US Post Office will NOT update your record with the DMV or allow important DMV mail to be forwarded to you. By failing to change your address with the DMV, you could miss the renewal date of your license, or even have your driving privileges suspended or revoked unnecessarily.

To change your address with DMV use the Change of Address form here.

Classification or Endorsement
Class A
Combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the unit being towed is 10,001 pounds or greater
Class B
Single vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more and towing any such unit with a GVWR less than 10,001 pounds
Class C
Vehicles with a GVWR or a GCWR less than 26,001 pounds and designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or vehicles used in the transportation of hazardous materials which requires the vehicle to be placarded under 49 C.F.R.
Class D
Non-CDL Vehicle for Hire
Class E
Passenger Vehicles
Class F
Motorcycle Only
Class G
Biopic Lens-Wearing Drivers
Class X
Identification Cards (Non-Driving/Non-Driver)

If you want to operate a motorcycle on the public roads, you must obtain either a motorcycle endorsement (F) on your driver's license or a Class F motorcycle only driver's license.

First, you must take a knowledge test at your local DMV office in order to obtain your learner’s permit. A Motorcycle Driver Handbook has been prepared to help you pass the tests. The permit is valid during daylight hours only and does not permit a passenger.

After you have had your learner’s permit for seven (7) days, you can make an appointment to return to the DMV to take an on-cycle skills test which must be successfully completed before an endorsement can be added to your license or before a motorcycle only license can be issued.

The Division of Motor Vehicles also offers a Basic or Experienced Rider Course through the Motorcycle Safety Program​. If you take the Motorcycle Safety Course, it waives the on-cycle skills test. To enroll in a Basic or Experienced Rider Course, please click here​.

If you are under the age of 18, you must complete Level II GDL before you can be eligible for a motorcycle instruction permit.

If you have questions about the Motorcycle Safety Program, contact the Motorcycle Safety Program Training Coordinator. Call (304) 932-8862 or (304) 352-5890 or email​