Work Zone Safety: Everybody’s Responsibility
In the past 5 years, work zones resulted in 4,400 deaths 85%
percent of which were the driver or passenger) and 200,000 injuries.
The West Virginia Department of Transportation reminds you that work zones are extremely important, not just for the workers that build, repair and maintain our roads, but also for the motorist that drive through the complex array of signs, barrels, and lane changes.
Remember these safety tips when traveling through work zones:
- Avoid changing radio stations, using a cell phone, navigation device, or anything that takes your eyes off the road.
- Always obey the posted speed limit. There is a
reason for a reduced speed.
- Pay close attention and heed directions on work
zone warning signs.
- Stay alert.
- Watch the brake lights of the vehicle ahead of
you, be prepared to react.
- Fines may be doubled for moving traffic violations in work zones.
- And most of all JUST SLOW DOWN!
For locations of road repair sites, visit the Drive Forward WV Projects page.