NOTICE FOR CONSULTING SERVICES
NORTHERN CONNECTOR +1
Notice is hereby given that consulting services will be utilized by the West Virginia Department of
Transportation, Division of Highways, for Quality Control and Quality Assurance project inspection,
documentation services, project management, and related duties as required on the Northern Connector +1
project (Morgan County). The anticipated duration of the agreement is approximately 36 months. It is
anticipated that the following appropriately accredited and qualified inspectors will be required:
2 – TRET SR (Level 4)
2 – TRET (Level 3)
2 – TRETAS (Level 2)
1 – TRETTR (Level 1)
1 – CPM Schedule Reviewer
1 – Survey Crew/Services (as needed)
The general guidelines for performance of the project inspection are as follows:
1. The consulting engineering services required may consist of project inspection, documentation
services, and other related duties as assigned.
2. The consultant will supply experienced construction and materials inspection personnel. All
inspectors must be certified through WVTRET Board.
3. The personnel shall have a working knowledge of WVDOT-DOH standards, specifications,
WVDOH Traffic Control manual, Materials Certification, materials testing procedures, as well as
being certified by the DOH for sampling and testing aggregate, Portland cement concrete,
bituminous concrete, compaction testing and possess nuclear certifications in the State of West
Virginia. The knowledge and certifications required of a given individual will depend on the
specific item(s) being inspected and /or sampled/tested.
4. It is the intent that majority of the required materials testing be conducted by personnel capable of
performing the complete field inspection of the affected items.
5. In addition, the inspectors shall be knowledgeable of good construction and surveying practices and
procedures; able to interpret contracts, special provisions, plans and specifications, proposals, able
to perform project layout and assist in project finalization; able to exercise good judgment; able to
use engineering, testing and office equipment; be accurate and neat in recording data and preparing
records and able to maintain a harmonious relationship with the Department, other governmental
agencies, contractors, and the public.
6. The consultant will supply all necessary transportation, laptop, and communication devices for its
7. The Department will supply field offices, storage buildings, and office equipment per normal
construction contract specification items or reasonable access to the same as it deems necessary.
8. The Consultant personnel shall be proficient in using AASHTOWare Project (AWP). In order to
use AWP, the following is required:
For using Citrix, Google Chrome should be the default browser, and is the only one we can use for
Citrix. You cannot and should not try to access Citrix with any other browser, due to it causing
connection problems with the correct browser once done. Consultants should have their own IT
staff to setup their Citrix connections and have them login to test once everything has been approved
and they have access. Must have Windows 10 or above operating system.
9. All testing equipment and incidental tools and supplies are to be furnished by the Consultant unless
the Department elects to supply same on a given project.
10. The method of payment for the consultant services provided will be SPECIFIC RATE OF
Firms interested in being considered for this work must submit a “Letter of Qualification” (LOQ)
and unpriced prospectus to Mr. Shawn Smith, Director, Contract Administration Division, West
Virginia Department of Transportation, Division of Highways, Building Five, Room 840, 1900
Kanawha Boulevard, East, Charleston, West Virginia 25305 prior to 4:00 P.M. on March 24,
2023. Responses received after this time will not be considered.
At a minimum, the Letter of Qualification (LOQ) will include the following sent by email to
CEIservicesLOQ@wv.gov. A hard copy will not be required for this project.
1. A completed copy of the Division's Consultant Confidential Qualification Questionnaire dated
January 1, 2023 or later (a Standard Form 330 will suffice as well), if not already on file.
2. A completed copy of the "Consultant Short List Selection Criteria Technical Evaluation" form found
in Appendix E of the WVDOT-DOH Manual for Consultant Services or from the WVDOT web
homepage by selecting the following tabs: Business/Engineering Forms and Documents
3. Overall capabilities to handle this work, including work force available to assign to the project and
4. Present workload
5. Location of base office for the assigned project staff.
6. Indication of whether a cost accounting system has been maintained and is in effect such that it is
capable of segregating and identifying accumulating costs for each job that is performed under cost-
Submittals shall be prepared simply and economically, providing a straightforward, concise description of
the firm's capabilities to satisfy the requirements of the RFP. Emphasis should be on completeness and
clarity of content. Elaborate brochures and other representations beyond that sufficient to present a complete
and effective proposal are neither required nor desired prior to entering contract negotiations. The selected
firm and any sub consultants shall submit a current audited overhead rate computation performed by a State
or Federal government agency or independent CPA firm. The submitted overhead audit shall contain a
detailed exhibit of the computations with all applicable eliminations and references. The audit shall be done
in accordance with Government Auditing Standards issued by the Comptroller General of the United States
and all eliminations required by the Federal Acquisition Regulations will be made.
It is the policy of the West Virginia Department of Transportation, Division of Highways, that
Disadvantaged Business Enterprises shall have the maximum opportunity to participate in the performance
of contracts financed in whole or in part with Federal funds.
Any technical questions concerning the requirements for this project should be directed to Mr. Larry Shea,
P.E., Contract Administration Division, at (304 414-6972) or E-mail at Larry.G.Shea@wv.gov