Another Philippi-area span that once served as part of the Middle
Fork Turnpike, the covered bridge at Carrollton carries Barbour County
36 over the Buckhannon River on a span 16 feet wide and 140.75 feet
long. The bridge was built by Emmett and Daniel O’Brien in 1856 at a
cost of $2,928 for abutments and $1,891 for the superstructure, which
used the patented Burr Arch type and consists of two multiple Kingpost
trusses. In 2002, Hoke Brothers Contracting of Union, WV completed
renovations on the bridge at a cost of $389,609.