Work Zone Safety
In the past five years, a total of
1,794 crashes were reported in West Virginia work zones. Those crashes resulted
in a total of 15 fatalities, 509 injuries, and 1,270 reports of personal
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Obey the posted speed limit
- Stay alert
- Put down your phone. It’s the law!
- Don’t tailgate. Follow other vehicles at a safe distance.
- Expect the unexpected. Workers, vehicles, or equipment may
enter your lane without warning.
- Be patient. It takes only an few extra seconds more to travel at the 10-15 mph reduced speed through work zones.
Be sure to check the WV511 Traveler Information System for information on work zones and real-time traffic for information on work zones and real-time traffic alerts.
Visit the DOH Districts page for information on maintenance work being performed in each county.