The West Virginia Department of Transportation (WVDOT) is comprised of more than 4,000 men and women who work in the Division of Highways; Division of Motor Vehicles; Division of Public Transit; the Public Port Authority; the Parkways, Economic Development and Tourism Authority (WV Turnpike); the State Rail Authority; and the Aeronautics Commission.
WVDOT provides essential services in transportation, tourism and economic development, including:
- Safety and protection for citizens through modern operating standards for our highways, rail and airport facilities and licensing and permitting of drivers and motor vehicles
- Transportation services including public transit, railway operation and maintenance, airport and river port development and highway construction and maintenance
- Community and economic development through accessible roads, rivers, railways and airports and support for the artisan community through Tamarack and other development initiatives
- Revenue generation through the highway trust fund; air, railway and waterway fuel funds and tolls and concession fees
- Information and education through driver education, travel information, safety guidance, public involvement in transportation planning and continuing education
The West Virginia Department of Transportation's mission is to responsibly provide a safe, efficient and reliable transportation system that supports economic opportunity and quality of life.