July 25, 2011 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM at Saint Albans High School, 2100 Kanawha Terrace, St Albans
The Richard J. “Dick” Henderson Bridge Project consists of replacing the existing bridge that crosses the Kanawha River in its current location along West Virginia Route 25 Spur between the cities of Saint Albans and Nitro, West Virginia in Kanawha County. (Handout for March 2011 workshops)
The bridge was built in 1934 by McClintic Marshall Corporation of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. The bridge consists of a three span cantilever Warren through truss with an overall length of 1,367 feet. The bridge is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.
The purpose of the project is to rehabilitate or replace the existing superstructure of the bridge to meet current design standards including suitable weight limits to efficiently and effectively serve the residential, commercial and business community and traveling public needs of the cities of Saint Albans and Nitro, WV.
Several alternatives are being studied by the WVDOH and are as follows (Video and Simulations of the Alternatives):
- Alternative 1: Rehabilitate truss with sidewalk to inside of truss
- Alternative 2: Rehabilitate truss with sidewalk cantilevered to outside of truss
- Alternative 3: Plate girder superstructure (Preferred Alternative)
- Alternative 4: Through truss superstructure
- Alternative 5: Cable stayed superstructure
- Alternative 6: Extradosed superstructure (cross between a girder & cable stayed bridge)
A Brief Project Overview will be given each day at 5:30 P.M. You may attend anytime between 4:00 P.M. and 7:00 P.M.
The Environmental Assessment is available for download here
(41 MB PDF).
The Comment period ended on August 26, 2011.